Who we are:
Senior Business Analyst
The American Physical Society (APS) is a nonprofit membership organization working to advance and diffuse the knowledge of physics through its outstanding research journals, scientific meetings, and education, outreach, advocacy, and international activities. APS represents over 55,000 members, including physicists in academia, national laboratories, and industry in the United States and throughout the world. Society offices are located in College Park, MD (Headquarters), Ridge, NY, and Washington, D.C.
Works across departments to gather, specify, and implement technical solutions to support APS business functions, primarily around membership, meetings, programs, and development. Recommends, configures, and customizes software systems by working with vendors or independently. Supports software systems at APS Headquarters. Enhances the association management system and abstract submission system to support additional features. Responsible for designing/improving and documenting work flows within the organization. Provides direct support to staff and works closely with vendors and customers.
A Typical Week May Look Like This:
Is This You:
- Supporting the business procedures of various departments (Membership, Development, and Meetings) by providing procedural solutions, software customization, or development as needed.
- Administering, configuring, and building solutions in Salesforce and associated applications.
- Developing API solutions and integrating them with third-party systems.
- Analyzing new or existing business processes to identify technical and business requirements and potential solutions.
- Works closely with vendors to implement projects, patches and upgrades.
- Creating and analyzing process, workflow, data, and other diagrams and documentation.
- Designing, developing, and managing reporting interfaces and dashboards. Working closely with the development team to incorporate new data sources.
- Working with other business analysts in the group to improve tools and processes used by the group.
Education: B.S. in Computer Science, Information Sciences, or equivalent
Certification: Salesforce admin and developer certifications highly desirable. ITIL, PMP certifications also desirable.
Experience, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- 9 years of experience in a system development environment
- 5 years of experience in an non-profit environment
- In-depth understanding of web-based software and API design.
- Effective project management, communications and related skills
- Strong organization, documentation, and prioritization skills.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Ability to adapt to quickly changing schedules.
- Ability to work well with interdepartmental teams as well as independently.
- APS offers a “Remote First” workplace. In our Remote First workplace, you can work either 100% remote or you can work at the APS Editorial Offices on Long Island, 62 miles (100 km) east of Manhattan, near Brookhaven National Laboratory and Stony Brook University. APS offers an outstanding total compensation and paid time off package.
- Position may require some business travel to specific scientific meetings or other organizational events.
- The anticipated annual salary range for this position is $110,000-120,000 (commensurate with experience), along with an outstanding benefits package.
To advance and diffuse the knowledge of physics for the benefit of humanity, promote physics, and serve the broader physics community, we:
- Provide a welcoming and supportive professional home for an active, engaged, and diverse membership
- Advance scientific discovery and research dissemination
- Advocate for physics and physicists, and amplify the voice for science
- Share the excitement of physics and communicate the essential role physics plays in the modern world
- Promote effective physics education for all
The core values that drive our mission are:
- The Scientific Method
- Truth and Integrity
- Diversity, Inclusion, and Respect
- Partnering, Cooperation, and Open Collaboration
- Speaking Out
- Education and Learning
The American Physical Society is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer. It is the policy of American Physical Society not to discriminate or allow the harassment of employees or applicants on the basis of race, religious creed, alienage or citizenship, religion, color, ethnicity, sex, national origin, age, disability, marital status, familial status, protected veteran status, protected military status, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, predisposing genetic characteristics, ancestry, domestic violence victim status or any other characteristic protected by law with regard to any employment practices, including recruitment, advertising, job application procedures, hiring, upgrading, training, promotion, transfer, compensation, job assignments, benefits and/or other terms, conditions, or privileges of employment, provided the individual is qualified, with or without reasonable accommodations, to perform the essential functions of the job. This policy applies to all jobs at APS. The American Physical Society is committed to providing access, equal opportunity and reasonable accommodation for individuals with disabilities in employment, its services, programs, and activities. To request reasonable accommodation, please contact APS Human Resources.
The APS has a “remote first” concept that promotes equal treatment and equal access, independent of physical work location, with a majority of staff working primarily from remote work locations.
We welcome you to apply today!