Science Communications Intern
|Title:||Science Communications Intern|
|Location:||College Park, MD|
Science Communications Intern
College Park, MD
Who we are
The American Physical Society (APS) is a nonprofit membership organization working to advance and diffuse the knowledge of physics through its outstanding research journals, scientific meetings, and education, outreach, advocacy, and international activities. APS represents over 55,000 members, including physicists in academia, national laboratories, and industry in the United States and throughout the world. Society offices are located in College Park, MD (Headquarters), Ridge, NY, and Washington, D.C.
The Science Communications Intern will assist in writing original content for press releases, news articles, and social media.
A Typical Week May Look Like This…
Is This You?
- Assist in identifying newsworthy content and preparing press releases about physics research and Society activities.
- Write occasional stories for APS News or other APS outlets.
- Create and manage social media posts and interact with followers.
- Plan and execute social media campaigns.
- Create reports on effectiveness of science communication efforts.
- Aid in press room activities at APS meetings.
This is Us!
- Advanced undergraduate physics course work, BA/BS in physics or related science preferred.
- Writing courses or published writing for non-scientists desired.
- Journalism and English majors with minors in a physical science or extensive physical science coursework will be considered.
- Demonstrated ability to write for general audiences on technically and scientiﬁcally challenging topics a plus.
- General competence and demonstrated interest in a broad range of science topics desirable.
- Experience creating social media content in a professional context.
- Excellent writing, communication, proofreading, and reporting skills preferred.
- Excellent attention to detail and highly organized.
- Ability to work well with interdepartmental teams as well as independently.
The American Physical Society strives to:
- Be the leading voice for physics and an authoritative source of physics information for the advancement of physics and the benefit of humanity.
- Provide effective programs in support of the physics community and the conduct of physics.
- Collaborate with national scientific societies for the advancement of science, science education and the science community.
- Cooperate with international physics societies to promote physics, to support physicists worldwide and to foster international collaboration.
- Promote an active, engaged and diverse membership, and support the activities of its units and members.
The American Physical Society is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, disability or veteran status.
We welcome you to apply today!