Science Communications Intern
|Title:||Science Communications Intern|
|Location:||College Park, MD|
Science Communications Intern
College Park, MD
Who we are
The American Physical Society (APS) is a nonprofit membership organization working to advance and diffuse the knowledge of physics through its outstanding research journals, scientific meetings, and education, outreach, advocacy, and international activities. APS represents over 55,000 members, including physicists in academia, national laboratories, and industry in the United States and throughout the world. Society offices are located in College Park, MD (Headquarters), Ridge, NY, and Washington, D.C.
The Science Communications Intern will assist in writing original content for press releases, news articles, and social media.
A Typical Week May Look Like This…
Is This You?
- Assist in identifying newsworthy content and preparing press releases about physics research and Society activities.
- Write occasional stories for APS News or other APS outlets.
- Create and manage social media posts and interact with followers.
- Plan and execute social media campaigns.
- Create reports on effectiveness of science communication efforts.
- Aid in press room activities at APS meetings.
- Advanced undergraduate physics course work, BA/BS in physics or related science preferred.
- Writing courses or published writing for non-scientists desired.
- Journalism and English majors with minors in a physical science or extensive physical science coursework will be considered.
- Demonstrated ability to write for general audiences on technically and scientiﬁcally challenging topics a plus.
- General competence and demonstrated interest in a broad range of science topics desirable.
- Experience creating social media content in a professional context.
- Excellent writing, communication, proofreading, and reporting skills preferred.
- Excellent attention to detail and highly organized.
- Ability to work well with interdepartmental teams as well as independently.
This is Us!
To advance and diffuse the knowledge of physics for the benefit of humanity, promote physics, and serve the broader physics community, we:
- Provide a welcoming and supportive professional home for an active, engaged, and diverse membership
- Advance scientific discovery and research dissemination
- Advocate for physics and physicists, and amplify the voice for science
- Share the excitement of physics and communicate the essential role physics plays in the modern world
- Promote effective physics education for all
The core values that drive our mission are:
- The Scientific Method
- Truth and Integrity
- Diversity, Inclusion, and Respect
- Partnering, Cooperation, and Open Collaboration
- Speaking Out
- Education and Learning
The American Physical Society is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, ethnic or national origin, ancestry, pregnancy (including childbirth or related condition), citizenship, familial status, mental or physical disability, veteran status, generic information, other non-disqualifying disability, or any other characteristic protect by law.
We welcome you to apply today!
This opening is closed and is no longer accepting applications