College Park, MD
As an accounting professional, you work every day to ensure your organization’s finances are in order, so it can better accomplish its mission and goals. At the American Physical Society, our mission is to support the physics community and a large network of science professionals. We’re looking for an Accounting Manager to join us in our mission. You’ll do more than crunch numbers – your efforts will ensure the financial health of APS, and directly support our mission to advance the physical sciences.
As the new Accounting Manager for APS, you’ll manage a team of four accountants, and help to develop and maintain sound accounting practices for our headquarters in College Park, MD.
At typical day may look like this:
- Prepare and review appropriate ledger entries and reconciliations
- Prepare and consolidate financial statements
- Establish and maintain internal controls
- Manage all aspects of the general ledger system
- Provide monthly, quarterly and year-end analyses
- Coordinate and assist with the budget process
- Research accounting issues for compliance with GAAP
- Analyze and report cost variances
- Serve as a liaison to external auditors
- Hire, train, and supervise accounting staff
- Supervise accounts receivable, accounts payable and general accounting departments
- Other duties as assigned
Is This You?
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Accounting, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 3+ years of account management experience required, preferably with a nonprofit.
- Experience managing other accounting professionals preferred.
- You’re a self-starter, and ready to hit the ground running. You need little supervision.
- You’re highly organized, and have strong project management skills: you can keep track of busy schedules, change tasks and priorities on a dime, and create plans and procedures to streamline workflow.
- You’re polished and professional, and have strong communication skills.
- Fundamental knowledge of GAAP.
- Experience in Lawson ERP system is a plus.
- Advanced level of proficiency in Microsoft Excel required.
- If you’ve worked with a nonprofit organization in the past, all the better!
This is Us!
To advance and diffuse the knowledge of physics for the benefit of humanity, promote physics, and serve the broader physics community, we:
- Provide a welcoming and supportive professional home for an active, engaged, and diverse membership
- Advance scientific discovery and research dissemination
- Advocate for physics and physicists, and amplify the voice for science
- Share the excitement of physics and communicate the essential role physics plays in the modern world
- Promote effective physics education for all
The core values that drive our mission are:
- The Scientific Method
- Truth and Integrity
- Diversity, Inclusion, and Respect
- Partnering, Cooperation, and Open Collaboration
- Speaking Out
- Education and Learning
The American Physical Society is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, ethnic or national origin, ancestry, pregnancy (including childbirth or related condition), citizenship, familial status, mental or physical disability, veteran status, genetic information, other non-disqualifying disability, or any other characteristic protected by law.
We welcome you to apply today!