|Title:||Human Resources Manager|
|Location:||College Park, MD|
Who we are:
The American Physical Society (APS) is a nonprofit membership organization working to advance and diffuse the knowledge of physics through its outstanding research journals, scientific meetings, and education, outreach, advocacy, and international activities. APS represents over 55,000 members, including physicists in academia, national laboratories, and industry in the United States and throughout the world. Society offices are located in College Park, MD (Headquarters), Ridge, NY, and Washington, D.C.
As a Human Resources professional, you work every day to support your organization’s greatest asset: its people. At the American Physical Society, our people support our mission to advance and diffuse the knowledge of physics for the benefit of humanity, promote physics, and serve the broader physics community. We’re looking for an experienced Human Resources Manager to join our dynamic team and support the long-term goals of the Society.
Reporting to the Associate Director of Human Resources, this position helps lead the execution of key HR initiatives and management of day-to-day human resources functions for our offices in College Park, MD, Washington, DC, and Ridge NY (Suffolk County, Long Island). The HR team directly supports 250 employees across these locations. The role is temporarily 100% remote at least through the end of 2020 and will be based in either the College Park, MD or Ridge, NY office when on-site work resumes. Applicants looking for opportunities in either of these locations are encouraged to apply.
A Typical Week May Look Like This:
Systems, processes, and training:
● Manage system optimization, data integrity, maintenance and daily operation of our HRIS and associated systems like Learning Management and Performance Management.
● Serve as a primary contact and be the resident expert in ADP Workforce Now.
● Drive system configuration of annual processes (e.g. open enrollment, EEO-1, annual merit).
● Manage the performance review and salary administration process
● Develop and use metrics and analytics for data reporting and solutions.
● Manage oversight of staff training and end user support with regard to systems.
● Ensure compliance with all applicable US federal, state and local laws.
Employee relations and strategy:
● Provide support with employee relations issues.
● Drive HR initiatives aligned with our strategic plan and goals.
● Strengthen our culture and employee-friendly workplace.
● Help build process improvements and department efficiencies.
● Conduct compensation benchmarking and participate in salary surveys.
● Serve as the primary contact and administrator for the APS retirement plan.
● Bachelor’s degree preferred, or applicable experience.
● 4+ years of HRIS administration/HR generalist experience, including 2 years of supervisory experience.
● Possess a positive, service-oriented approach with reliable follow through and desire to work in a highly collaborative environment.
● Proficiency in ADP Workforce Now in key functional areas (time and attendance, PTO, open enrollment, benefits).
● Highly skilled in Microsoft Excel (VLOOKUP, pivots, databases).
● Ability to leverage technology to create innovative solutions, continuous improvement, and automation.
● Experience with LMS systems preferred.
● Exceptional interpersonal skills with ability to resolve conflict and address sensitive issues with confidentiality.
● Strong verbal and written communication skills.
● Excellent organizational, analytical, and project management skills with proficiency in managing several ongoing projects simultaneously.
● If you’ve worked with scientists, academics, or other membership associations all the better!
● Ability to travel periodically.
We offer amazing benefits:
● Generous vacation, sick and personal leave
● Flexible schedules and ability to telecommute
● 10 weeks paid family leave
● 10% APS paid retirement contribution
● Medical, dental, vision; APS pays the majority of the premiums
● Wellness initiatives, including healthy snacks and seminars offered monthly
● Training and professional development opportunities
● Access to APS paid financial advisors
● Year end office closure the week between Christmas and New Year’s day
Scope and Relationships:
● Directly manage an HR Assistant.
● Work across several departments at all levels, serving as an ambassador to the organization.
To advance and diffuse the knowledge of physics for the benefit of humanity, promote physics, and serve the broader physics community, we:
● Provide a welcoming and supportive professional home for an active, engaged, and diverse membership
● Advance scientific discovery and research dissemination
● Advocate for physics and physicists, and amplify the voice for science
● Share the excitement of physics and communicate the essential role physics plays in the modern world
● Promote effective physics education for all
The Core Values that Drive our Mission are:
● The Scientific Method
● Truth and Integrity
● Diversity, Inclusion, and Respect
● Partnering, Cooperation, and Open Collaboration
● Speaking Out
● Education and Learning
The American Physical Society is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, ethnic or national origin, ancestry, pregnancy (including childbirth or related condition), citizenship, familial status, mental or physical disability, veteran status, genetic information, other non-disqualifying disability, or any other characteristic protected by law.
We welcome you to apply today!