Diversity Programs Coordinator
|Title:||Diversity Programs Coordinator|
|Location:||College Park, MD|
Who we are:
Diversity Programs Coordinator
The American Physical Society (APS) is a nonprofit membership organization working to advance and diffuse the knowledge of physics through its outstanding research journals, scientific meetings, and education, outreach, advocacy, and international activities. APS represents over 55,000 members, including physicists in academia, national laboratories, and industry in the United States and throughout the world. Society offices are located in College Park, MD (Headquarters), Ridge, NY, and Washington, D.C.
The Diversity Programs Coordinator provides administrative support to the Committee on Minorities (COM) and the National Mentoring Community (NMC), a program with the goal of increasing the number of underrepresented minorities awarded bachelor’s degrees in physics. In addition, this position assists with other department activities as needed.
A Typical Week May Look Like This:
Is This You:
- Lead coordinator for the National Mentoring Community and COM
- Accountable for effectively meeting all objectives, deliverables, and deadlines associated with assigned projects.
- Organize logistics of the NMC conference and other internal and external meetings
- Assist with recruiting of NMC mentor/mentee pairs
- Maintain the NMC website, including online registration and program evaluation
- Coordinate NMC communications, including email prompts, etc.
- Process invoices and track expenses
- Serve as the primary point of contact for the NMC
- Coordinate COM programs, including climate site visits, MSI travel grants, Gazette newsletter, networking events, etc.
- Coordinate logistics for in-person committee meetings and events, video conferences, and subcommittee meetings with support from Awards and Committees Coordinator
- Moderate committee listservs and online groups for minorities in physics
- Maintain webpages related to COM and diversity programs
- Document and maintain current procedures associated with assigned projects
- Work collaboratively with project team
- Other duties as assigned
Education: Bachelor's degree preferred or demonstrated work experience.
Experience, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Minimum three years of work experience required.
- Ability to work independently with little or no supervision for extended periods, proactively identify and respond to needs, and exercise judgment.
- Ability to take initiative in identifying and responding to issues as they arise.
- Computer skills and high level of proficiency in standard office software.
- Ability to handle several complex projects simultaneously.
- Customer service orientation.
- Ability to resolve conflicts constructively, and to empathize and understand perspectives of others.
- Willingness and ability to work as a team player.
- Strong skills in organization, documentation, and prioritization.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Ability to adapt to quickly changing schedules.
To advance and diffuse the knowledge of physics for the benefit of humanity, promote physics, and serve the broader physics community, we:
- Provide a welcoming and supportive professional home for an active, engaged, and diverse membership
- Advance scientific discovery and research dissemination
- Advocate for physics and physicists, and amplify the voice for science
- Share the excitement of physics and communicate the essential role physics plays in the modern world
- Promote effective physics education for all
The Core Values that Drive our Mission are:
- The Scientific Method
- Truth and Integrity
- Diversity, Inclusion, and Respect
- Partnering, Cooperation, and Open Collaboration
- Speaking Out
- Education and Learning
The American Physical Society is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, ethnic or national origin, ancestry, pregnancy (including childbirth or related condition), citizenship, familial status, mental or physical disability, veteran status, genetic information, other non-disqualifying disability, or any other characteristic protected by law.
We welcome you to apply today!