Journal Services Assistant
|Title:||Journal Services Assistant |
Who we are:
Journal Services Assistant
The American Physical Society (APS) is a nonprofit membership organization working to advance and diffuse the knowledge of physics through its outstanding research journals, scientific meetings, and education, outreach, advocacy, and international activities. APS represents over 55,000 members, including physicists in academia, national laboratories, and industry in the United States and throughout the world. Society offices are located in College Park, MD (Headquarters), Ridge, NY, and Washington, D.C.
The Journal Systems Assistant works with our Editorial team to process correspondence, form letters, and reports related to scientific manuscripts and proofread database entries. We offer the opportunity to expand your abilities and develop professionally by working in a fast-paced, goal-oriented and collaborative team environment that supports and handles all administrative aspects of the journal peer review process. This full-time position is based at the American Physical Society Editorial Office in Ridge, New York, on Long Island (LIE exit 68 near Brookhaven National Laboratory and Stony Brook University).
Is This You:
- Handles all administrative aspects of the peer review process, from receipt through acceptance or rejection.
- Processes incoming and outgoing correspondence, assuring integrity of database as well as quality and productivity standards of the Department.
- Verifies special correspondence for quality control purposes.
- Receives author and referee telephone inquiries.
- Calculates manuscript length checks, using a prescribed formula and application.
- Ensures completeness and prepares accepted manuscripts.
- Uses available tools to indicate specialized information within the database.
- Ensures publication rights have been conveyed appropriately.
- Processes special manuscript tasks as required.
- Participates in departmental meetings.
- Maintains contact with supervisors to resolve any problems with workflow and/or procedures; maintains contact with editorial staff to effectively process manuscripts; maintains contact with Editorial Systems staff regarding database administration.
- Maintains contact with authors, referees and remote editors.
- BA/BS or equivalent experience.
- 2 years experience in high volume correspondence processing, preferably in an editorial environment.
- Educational and/or professional background with emphasis on written communications preferred.
- Technical skills and experience using databases and software applications.
- Capable of working in a high volume environment.
- Ability to receive instruction from a variety of individuals and adapting to frequently shifting priorities.
- Ability to work as part of a team, as well as independently.
- Detail oriented with strong problem solving skills.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Most work performed in an office environment.
- Ability to sit for long periods of time at a desk or computer terminal.
- Stooping, bending, twisting and reaching may be required in completion of job responsibilities.
- Flexible work hours to accommodate the time difference for meetings and events as requested.
- Ability to lift up to 10 lbs. as part of job responsibilities.
To advance and diffuse the knowledge of physics for the benefit of humanity, promote physics, and serve the broader physics community, we:
- Provide a welcoming and supportive professional home for an active, engaged, and diverse membership
- Advance scientific discovery and research dissemination
- Advocate for physics and physicists, and amplify the voice for science
- Share the excitement of physics and communicate the essential role physics plays in the modern world
- Promote effective physics education for all
The Core Values That Drive Our Mission Are:
- The Scientific Method
- Truth and Integrity
- Diversity, Inclusion, and Respect
- Partnering, Cooperation, and Open Collaboration
- Speaking Out
- Education and Learning
The American Physical Society is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, ethnic or national origin, ancestry, pregnancy (including childbirth or related condition), citizenship, familial status, mental or physical disability, veteran status, genetic information, other non-disqualifying disability, or any other characteristic protected by law.
We welcome you to apply today!
This opening is closed and is no longer accepting applications