Director of Membership
|Title:||Director of Membership|
|Location:||College Park, MD|
Director of Membership
College Park, MD
Who We Are
The American Physical Society (APS) is a nonprofit membership organization working to advance and diffuse the knowledge of physics through its outstanding research journals, scientific meetings, and education, outreach, advocacy, and international activities. APS represents over 55,000 members, including physicists in academia, national laboratories, and industry in the United States and throughout the world. Society offices are located in College Park, MD (Headquarters), Ridge, NY, and Washington, D.C.
The Director of Membership will manage all aspects of the APS Membership Department. This person will oversee efforts that focus on member recruitment & retention, integrity of the membership database, and overall customer service for membership and honors programs.
A Typical Week May Look Like This…
Who You'll Work With...
- Participate in strategic planning at the highest levels with APS staff and leadership.
- Direct and supervise Membership and Honors staff.
- Recruit new team members, evaluate performance, recommend career development paths, and train team members.
- Direct a membership records staff that maintains and updates membership records, generates membership renewals notices to members, processes new member applications and provides excellent customer service to all individuals contacting the Membership Department.
- Prepare budget for Membership and Honors and contribute to the preparation of APS strategic plans and budgets.
- Oversee the creation and implementation of campaigns to attract new APS members, both domestic and international.
- Direct staff on efforts to retain existing members through regular updates of welcome correspondence, engagement efforts and renewal material.
- Collaborate with other departments to review and authorize changes to the membership Association Management Software and Customer Relationship Management software and hardware systems.
- Prepare regular and ad hoc reports on membership statistics for APS management, leadership and units.
- Analyze membership trends and make recommendations regarding recruiting, retaining, communication and providing services for physicists.
- Oversee staff support for Committee on Membership. Analyze and make recommendations to the Committee on new member services, pricing of dues, and determination of member eligibility for reduced dues.
- Maintain contact with peers at other scientific societies to enable studies that evaluate member services.
- Work with the Honors Program Manager to support all Prizes, Awards and APS Fellowship activities, including management of the Committees on Prizes & Awards and Fellowship.
- Work with the Honors Program Manager to support the APS Historic Sites Committee, which includes scheduling 2-3 dedications each year.
Is This You?
- Supervise 4 direct reports – Honors Program Manager, Member Recruitment and Retention Manager, Member Engagement Manager and Membership Services Manager.
- Extensive interaction with Deputy Executive Officer/Chief Operating Officer, Chief Executive Officer, Chief Financial Officer, Information Technology, Meetings, Development, International Affairs, and other APS departments.
- Regular interaction with members on the Committee on Membership, Prizes & Awards, Fellowship, Historic Sites Committee, Society unit volunteers, external event staff and with vendors for membership programs.
- Maintain contact with departments at other scientific membership societies for idea exchange such as Council of Engineering and Scientific Society Executives (CESSE) and American Society of Association Executives (ASAE).
- Manage the budgeting process for multiple costs centers in a budget of over $3M.
This is Us!
- Bachelor's degree required.
- CAE certification is desired.
- A strong background in not-for-profit (or similar) association membership recruitment, retention, and service.
- 7+ years of experience developing membership programs within an association environment.
- 5+ years in an increasingly responsible management position.
- Additional education in not-for-profit management, particularly in membership desirable.
- Experience in planning and supervising work with sophisticated AMS and CRM systems necessary.
- Excellent customer service skills necessary.
- High analytical and problem solving skills required.
- Strong organization, documentation, and prioritization skills.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Ability to adapt to quickly changing schedules.
- Ability to work well with interdepartmental teams as well as independently.
- Ability to embrace and lead new technology implementations.
- Demonstrated experience instituting best practices and leading change management efforts.
The American Physical Society strives to:
- Be the leading voice for physics and an authoritative source of physics information for the advancement of physics and the benefit of humanity.
- Provide effective programs in support of the physics community and the conduct of physics.
- Collaborate with national scientific societies for the advancement of science, science education and the science community.
- Cooperate with international physics societies to promote physics, to support physicists worldwide and to foster international collaboration.
- Promote an active, engaged and diverse membership, and support the activities of its units and members.
The American Physical Society is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, disability or veteran status.
We welcome you to apply today!
This opening is closed and is no longer accepting applications