Who we are:
The American Physical Society (APS) is a nonprofit membership organization working to advance and diffuse the knowledge of physics through its outstanding research journals, scientific meetings, and education, outreach, advocacy, and international activities. APS represents over 55,000 members, including physicists in academia, national laboratories, and industry in the United States and throughout the world. Society offices are located in College Park, MD (Headquarters), Ridge, NY, and Washington, D.C.
The Project Manager supports web product and digital project development by managing all phases of projects, including leading planning efforts, documenting outcomes and business requirements, and assembling project plans and timelines. The Project Manager works on a mix of new development, replacement, and enhancement projects while working closely with team members and management, and internal and external stakeholders.
Typical Week May Look Like This:
- Leading project planning efforts including documenting outcomes, scope, and business requirements
- Reviewing project portfolios to ensure they are aligned with business goals and appropriately resourced
- Assembling project plans, timelines, sprint planning, reporting, and retrospectives
- Modeling and managing projects using project management software, automating routine tasks
- Establishes feedback loops, manages expectations, and maintains lines of communications between team members and both internal and external stakeholders
- Managing internal and external resources including developers, vendors, support staff
- Support our project management practice across the organization by establishing best practices and working with other business units to provide training and support.
- Assisting with quality assurance and establishing acceptance criteria for all work
Is This You:
Education: Bachelors degree or equivalent experience.
Certification: PMP, Scrum-Certified Product Owner, or ScrumMaster certification is preferred. ITIL 4 Foundation certification desirable.
Experience, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- 3+ years of experience as a project manager or business analyst with PM experience
- Experience working for similar organizations is preferred
- Experience managing complex projects in a multi-stakeholder and cross-functional environment
- Experience with planning, writing, and executing regression and user acceptance tests
- Experience working with vendors and managing vendor relationships, including design agencies on large projects
- Experience working with Agile, Scrum, and Lean processes, and serving in Scrum Master and Product Owner roles
- Experience working with and managing common reporting and project management tools (Atlassian suite, Asana, Basecamp, Trello, etc.)
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills
- Conflict resolution and negotiating skills
- Understanding of the software development life cycle
- General knowledge of technology systems, platforms, and design and development patterns used in web design and development is a plus
- Strong organization, documentation, and prioritization skills.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Ability to adapt to quickly changing schedules.
- Ability to work well with interdepartmental teams as well as independently.
To advance and diffuse the knowledge of physics for the benefit of humanity, promote physics, and serve the broader physics community, we:
- Provide a welcoming and supportive professional home for an active, engaged, and diverse membership
- Advance scientific discovery and research dissemination
- Advocate for physics and physicists, and amplify the voice for science
- Share the excitement of physics and communicate the essential role physics plays in the modern world
- Promote effective physics education for all
The core values that drive our mission are:
- The Scientific Method
- Truth and Integrity
- Diversity, Inclusion, and Respect
- Partnering, Cooperation, and Open Collaboration
- Speaking Out
- Education and Learning
The American Physical Society is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, or genetic information. The American Physical Society is committed to providing access, equal opportunity and reasonable accommodation for individuals with disabilities in employment, its services, programs, and activities. To request reasonable accommodation, contact Human Resources.
The APS has a “remote first” concept that promotes equal treatment and equal access, independent of physical work location, with a majority of staff working primarily from remote work locations.
We welcome you to apply today!
This opening is closed and is no longer accepting applications