|Location:||College Park, MD|
College Park, MD
Who We Are
The American Physical Society (APS) is a nonprofit membership organization working to advance and diffuse the knowledge of physics through its outstanding research journals, scientific meetings, and education, outreach, advocacy, and international activities. APS represents over 55,000 members, including physicists in academia, national laboratories, and industry in the United States and throughout the world. Society offices are located in College Park, MD (Headquarters), Ridge, NY, and Washington, D.C.
The Content Strategist supports the organization by providing compelling content for all APS websites. This position works with all teams across the organization to create, maintain, and refresh content on APS websites. The Content Strategist has a natural ability to understand both the goals of the organization and its users and to plan and execute content strategies that bring the two together.
A Typical Week May Look Like This…
Is This You?
- Build and execute a content strategy, including managing editorial calendar and enforcing web governance compliance.
- Assist in daily content production to ensure presentation aligns with content strategy and other established goals.
- Conduct routine content audits and provide recommendations to improve the effectiveness of content.
- Analyze content, structure, and information architecture of APS sites to identify problems and opportunities.
- Offer recommendations on delivering consistent, sustainable, and standards-driven content strategy across products, services, and projects.
- Develop and maintain editorial calendars, style guides for multiple channels, organizational units, and programs.
- Collaborate within Communications Department to measure and improve accuracy, effectiveness, and freshness of content through Google Analytics and social analytics tools.
- Develop content best practices and recommendations for APS sites.
- Contribute to the development, optimization, and iteration of content models and taxonomies.
- Develop and maintain content governance guidelines and content management workflows.
- Promote content strategy as a tool for generating positive outcomes across the organization.
- Work closely with Communications staff to refine and optimize content for social media and other channels.
- Collaborate with product teams to implement technical and user experience improvements.
- Develop content to support new products and services.
- Conduct content-focused user-research.
- Work closely with stakeholders to find alignment and resolve conflicts.
This is Us!
- Bachelor's degree in English, communications, journalism, or related field.
- Exceptional writing and editing skills.
- 3–5 years of experience as a content strategist or closely related position.
- Experience working with WCAG and 508 compliances.
- Experience working with nonprofits, scholarly publishing, and scientific content a plus.
- Familiarity with common content management systems.
- Experience with user-centered design principles.
- Experience developing and maintaining architecture experience.
- Experience with common web analytics tools.
- Relevant knowledge of semantic markup and structured content.
- Portfolio or ability to demonstrate contributions on past content strategy-related projects.
The American Physical Society strives to:
- Be the leading voice for physics and an authoritative source of physics information for the advancement of physics and the benefit of humanity.
- Provide effective programs in support of the physics community and the conduct of physics.
- Collaborate with national scientific societies for the advancement of science, science education and the science community.
- Cooperate with international physics societies to promote physics, to support physicists worldwide and to foster international collaboration.
- Promote an active, engaged and diverse membership, and support the activities of its units and members.
The American Physical Society is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, disability or veteran status.
We welcome you to apply today!
This opening is closed and is no longer accepting applications