|Department:||Journal Information Systems|
Who we are:
The American Physical Society (APS) is a nonprofit membership organization working to advance and diffuse the knowledge of physics through its outstanding research journals, scientific meetings, and education, outreach, advocacy, and international activities. APS represents over 55,000 members, including physicists in academia, national laboratories, and industry in the United States and throughout the world. Society offices are located in College Park, MD (Headquarters), Ridge, NY, and Washington, D.C.
The American Physical Society, a leading publisher of scientific journals, based in Suffolk County, LI, is seeking a front end developer. This is an exciting opportunity to apply your strong front end development and UX skills to build applications used in all aspects of scientific publishing. We’re a group who happily share knowledge and value other ideas, while working in a bright, modern office with a friendly atmosphere and flat hierarchies. We will challenge you with interesting work while providing you with a collaborative culture in a fast paced environment. Our staff is encouraged to attend industry conferences and we are constantly playing with new tools and use all the latest and greatest technologies, affording you the capability to impact all aspects of your projects. You must have excellent English communication skills, be a problem solver and a team player, and be results oriented. Other incentives for working at APS are great pay, great benefits, generous 403(b), fun company events, commuter benefits, and 3 weeks paid vacation.
If possible, when applying, please provide code samples and URL's of previous applications you've developed. Candidates who provide links to their GitHub profiles or personal websites with technical articles and/or code samples will receive priority.
Is This You:
- Expert knowledge of HTML5, CSS3, and associated web standards
- Experience with front-end frameworks such as React or Vue.js
- Experience with modern front-end tooling (Babel, webpack, gulp, parcel, etc.)
- Proficiency in building responsive web applications
- Knowledge of UI/UX design concepts, pattern libraries, style guides, etc.
- Basic command line proficiency (Linux and/or Mac OS X preferred)
- Experience with Git or a similar version control system
- Experience with AWS or similar cloud service providers
- Experience doing test driven development with Jest, Jasmine, Mocha/Chai/Sinon, Karma. Integration testing with Selenium.
- Experience with server side development (node.js, express, etc.)
- Basic knowledge of GraphQL
- Experience with additional programming languages (clojurescript, Typescript preferred)
To advance and diffuse the knowledge of physics for the benefit of humanity, promote physics, and serve the broader physics community, we:
- Provide a welcoming and supportive professional home for an active, engaged, and diverse membership
- Advance scientific discovery and research dissemination
- Advocate for physics and physicists, and amplify the voice for science
- Share the excitement of physics and communicate the essential role physics plays in the modern world
- Promote effective physics education for all
The core values that drive our mission are:
- The Scientific Method
- Truth and Integrity
- Diversity, Inclusion, and Respect
- Partnering, Cooperation, and Open Collaboration
- Speaking Out
- Education and Learning
The American Physical Society is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, ethnic or national origin, ancestry, pregnancy (including childbirth or related condition), citizenship, familial status, mental or physical disability, veteran status, genetic information, other non-disqualifying disability, or any other characteristic protected by law.
We welcome you to apply today!
This opening is closed and is no longer accepting applications