Who we are:
The American Physical Society (APS) is a nonprofit membership organization working to advance and diffuse the knowledge of physics through its outstanding research journals, scientific meetings, and education, outreach, advocacy, and international activities. APS represents over 55,000 members, including physicists in academia, national laboratories, and industry in the United States and throughout the world. Society offices are located in College Park, MD (Headquarters), Ridge, NY, and Washington, D.C.
The editors of Physical Review A seek a dynamic and personable colleague for the position of Associate Editor. The primary responsibility is to manage the peer review process and decide, aided by expert input, which papers merit publication according to the journal's criteria. The Associate Editor is expected, after an initial training period, to take independent actions on submitted manuscripts. In addition to this core responsibility, the editor will help with advancing the overall mission of the journal; e.g., by assisting the journal’s remote editors with manuscript handling, by contributing to various highlighting and outreach efforts, and by being an effective ambassador for the journal through attendance at conferences and visits to research institutions around the world.
A Typical Week May Look Like This:
- Manage all aspects of peer review for a suite of manuscripts. This includes determining if review is warranted, selecting referees, evaluating responses, and deciding to publish, or not.
- Build ties with the community, via the review process and at conferences.
- Maintain close contact with other PRA editors and with the editors of the other journals in the Physical Review portfolio.
- Assist the journal’s remote part-time editors with manuscript handling.
- Help select and briefly summarize papers to highlight.
- Keep abreast of current and emerging physics research.
- Participate in editorial and cross-departmental APS projects.
Is This You:
Education: Qualified applicants will have a PhD in Physics or a closely related field and research experience in an area relevant to the journal, and be familiar with the research publication process through their own publications and as a referee. Some postdoctoral experience is strongly preferred. We have a preference for someone with experience in the areas of quantum information and/or optics, but applicants with a background in other areas covered by the journal will also be considered.
Experience, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent knowledge of the scientific research literature and existing research groups in the area of coverage.
- Strong sense of integrity.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to make prompt independent evaluations and decisions.
- Facility in managing multiple priorities.
- Strong written and verbal English communication skills.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Ability to work well both alone and as part of a team.
This position requires some business travel within and outside the U.S., to attend conferences and events, and to interact with researchers at research institutions and universities.
The position is based at the editorial offices in Ridge, New York, on Long Island, 100 km east of Manhattan, near Brookhaven National Laboratory and Stony Brook University. A significant and regular presence at Ridge is necessary, but partial telecommuting could be negotiated. The successful candidate will join a collaborative international team of editors across the Physical Review journals.
- Most work performed in an office environment.
- Flexible work hours to accommodate the time differences for meetings and events as requested.
To advance and diffuse the knowledge of physics for the benefit of humanity, promote physics, and serve the broader physics community, we:
- Provide a welcoming and supportive professional home for an active, engaged, and diverse membership
- Advance scientific discovery and research dissemination
- Advocate for physics and physicists, and amplify the voice for science
- Share the excitement of physics and communicate the essential role physics plays in the modern world
- Promote effective physics education for all
The Core Values that Drive our Mission Are:
- The Scientific Method
- Truth and Integrity
- Diversity, Inclusion, and Respect
- Partnering, Cooperation, and Open Collaboration
- Speaking Out
- Education and Learning
The American Physical Society is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, ethnic or national origin, ancestry, pregnancy (including childbirth or related condition), citizenship, familial status, mental or physical disability, veteran status, genetic information, other non-disqualifying disability, or any other characteristic protected by law.
We welcome you to apply today!