Science Policy Intern
|Title:||Science Policy Intern|
Science Policy Intern
Who we are:
The American Physical Society (APS) is a nonprofit membership organization working to advance and diffuse the knowledge of physics through its outstanding research journals, scientific meetings, and education, outreach, advocacy, and international activities. APS represents over 55,000 members, including physicists in academia, national laboratories, and industry in the United States and throughout the world. Society offices are located in College Park, MD (Headquarters), Ridge, NY, and Washington, D.C.
Currently, the American Physical Society, seeks a Science Policy intern to work in its Office of Government Affairs (OGA), located in downtown Washington DC in the National Press Building, for up to six months (available immediately or flexible start date, up to 24 hrs. p/wk, up to $16.00 p/hr.). The intern will have an integral role at the OGA with the opportunity to work on a variety of projects central to advancing the Society’s advocacy goals.
A Typical Week May Look Like This:
Is This You:
- Working with OGA staff on federal science budget tracking, science infrastructure initiatives, climate change activities, helium recycling legislation, and advocacy efforts involving APS members.
- Additionally, the intern could help with organizing the Society’s senior-level policy committee meeting and other tasks as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree required and graduate students are encouraged to apply.
- Physical sciences and public policy majors preferred.
- Must have excellent verbal and written communication skills.
This is Us:
To advance and diffuse the knowledge of physics for the benefit of humanity, promote physics, and serve the broader physics community, we:
- Provide a welcoming and supportive professional home for an active, engaged, and diverse membership
- Advance scientific discovery and research dissemination
- Advocate for physics and physicists, and amplify the voice for science
- Share the excitement of physics and communicate the essential role physics plays in the modern world
- Promote effective physics education for all
The core values that drive our mission are:
- The Scientific Method
- Truth and Integrity
- Diversity, Inclusion, and Respect
- Partnering, Cooperation, and Open Collaboration
- Speaking Out
- Education and Learning
The American Physical Society is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, ethnic or national origin, ancestry, pregnancy (including childbirth or related condition), citizenship, familial status, mental or physical disability, veteran status, genetic information, other non-disqualifying disability, or any other characteristic protected by law.
We welcome you to apply today!
This opening is closed and is no longer accepting applications