Director of Marketing, Experience and Engagement
Who we are:
The American Physical Society (APS) is a nonprofit membership organization working to advance and diffuse the knowledge of physics through its outstanding research journals, scientific meetings, and education, outreach, advocacy, and international activities. APS represents more than 50,000 members, including physicists in academia, national laboratories, and industry in the United States and throughout the world.
Are you a visionary servant leader passionate about leveraging data-driven strategies to enhance marketing ROI? Do you excel in creating innovative processes for synthesizing data and defining value propositions? Are you ready to shape the future of physics research and education while driving revenue growth? If so, we invite you to join our dynamic team as the Director of Marketing, Experience and Engagement at the American Physical Society (APS) reporting to the Chief Experience and Engagement Officer (CXO). As the Director of Marketing, Experience and Engagement, your mission will be to oversee and implement data-driven strategies that increase the ROI of our marketing efforts across multiple channels. You will be responsible for setting campaign goals, guiding messaging and creative assets, optimizing resource allocation, and developing and monitoring Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) to measure success. Additionally, you will collaborate with all APS departments and stakeholders to drive revenue and growth, analyze market trends to support APS's mission and build and maintain a robust marketing operations process. Join us on our mission to advance physics research and education, engage with a vibrant community of physicists, and shape the future of science. Apply today to become our Director of Marketing, Experience and Engagement, and be part of something extraordinary.
APS has a “remote first” concept that promotes equal treatment and equal access within the United States, independent of physical work location, with a majority of staff working primarily from remote work locations. APS values diversity and welcomes candidates from a variety of backgrounds. APS offers a dynamic work environment with an outstanding total compensation package, including salary, outstanding benefits, and excellent paid time off.
- Your primary focus will be to amplify the reach and impact of the APS's programs and publications, attract members, and utilize our brand to showcase the importance of physics research and education to policy leaders and the wider public.
- Lead the development and implementation of data-driven strategies to increase the ROI of marketing initiatives across multiple channels for each portfolio. This includes setting campaign goals, overseeing messaging and creative assets, allocating resources efficiently and effectively, and developing and tracking KPIs to measure success.
- Create a process to synthesize and analyze member data from multiple systems and define the value proposition for each segment of our membership. Map out data-driven, integrated marketing strategies (persona and customer journey mapping, segmentation, etc.) to inspire members to engage with APS in multiple ways.
- Work with the Publications department to develop an author centric and B2B and B2C marketing strategy for journals and research to capitalize on our most significant revenue area, explore potential opportunities to monetize content, and attract up-and-coming physicists to publish with APS and develop lifelong connections
- Develop strategic marketing plans to support APS’s mission, goals, and objectives, including positioning, and market and competitive analysis. Analyze marketing performance data to optimize future initiatives.
- Implement the strategy and direction for managing competing interests that impact department resources. Develop metrics to identify where we are having the greatest impact and realign staff priorities as appropriate.
- Build and sustain a marketing operations process, including people, tools, and resources. Develop and maintain the marketing budget.
- Optimize the marketing and communications calendar, evaluating the frequency and cadence of member messaging, media mix, audience segmentation, etc.
- Collaborate with other departments including publications, meetings, programs, membership, and advocacy and fundraising teams to ensure marketing initiatives are aligned with APS’s overall mission and goals.
- Work closely with leadership across the organization to identify opportunities to elevate APS’s value proposition for current and future members, key stakeholder, and partners.
- Lead a team that owns the strategic marketing of APS’s products and services across three key portfolios: membership and initiatives, meetings and events, and research and journals.
- Motivate, lead, and guide a team of talented staff members, including team leaders, creating internal systems to reduce redundancy and build capacity while keeping teams focused on strategic priorities.
- Guide staff in operationalizing the strategy to inspire actions among APS’s key audiences (members, future members in the physics community, policymakers, the media, and the public).
- Develop and implement a performance management strategy based on defined KPIs. Evaluate staff to determine strengths and areas for growth and develop processes to support their development. Reinforce APS’s culture of continuous improvement and learning.
Education: Bachelor’s degree in marketing or a related discipline required. A master’s degree in a related field and or User Experience (UX) experience is preferred.
Experience, Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Nurture leadership skills throughout the department; providing training and guidance to develop communication, decision-making, and conflict resolution skills for team leaders and giving staff opportunities to take on leadership roles.
- Minimum of 10 years of progressive leadership experience overseeing marketing, communications, publications, and/or membership, ideally with experience in an association or nonprofit setting.
- Minimum of 10 years of staff management experience.
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience managing digital marketing programs and User Experience (UX) experience.
- Advanced business acumen with the proven ability to develop and translate business strategy into action.
- A demonstrable track record of innovation in collaboration with 3rd parties and vendors.
- Digital marketing experience across a variety of channels and experience optimizing content creation for digital campaigns.
- Knowledge of the academic publishing landscape, including trends in open access and open science as well as other forces shaping the industry is preferred.
- Cultural and market awareness to effectively support journal portfolios.
- Ability to define strategic opportunities and successfully articulate and execute plans to address them.
- Ability to quickly build strong relationships with internal and external colleagues and stakeholders.
- Proficiency with CRM systems (Salesforce experience preferred) and other relevant business systems, data, and tools.
- Self-motivated, with a strong drive for results.
- Ability to make timely, quality decisions.
- Ability to work well both independently as well as collaboratively with interdepartmental teams and external colleagues.
- Ability to work effectively and efficiently from a remote location or while traveling.
- Strong written and oral communication skills and ability to utilize digital technology to collaborate with internal and external stakeholders effectively.
The Director of Marketing, Experience and Engagement role is remote-first – working primarily from home and other locations, rather than from a specific APS office. Primary residence/location within the United States is required.
Occasional travel is required to visit client sites, attend publishing and marketing events, visit the APS offices located in Hauppauge, NY, College Park, MD and the Washington DC metro area, and attend other periodic meetings, training, and strategy sessions at other locations. Additional travel as assigned.
The salary range for this role considers the factors that are considered in making compensation decisions, including but not limited to skill sets, experience and training, and other business and organizational needs. APS's Compensation Philosophy is to manage salaries at the midpoint of the market. Therefore, it is the practice to hire within the entry - midpoint range.
Full Range: $144,000k/year - $216,000k/year (USD)
Target Range: $144,000k/year - $180,000k/year (USD)
This is Us:
Help us achieve our mission of advancing and diffusing the knowledge of physics for the benefit of humanity, promote physics, and serve the broader physics community.
At APS, we:
- Provide a welcoming and supportive professional home for an active, engaged, and diverse membership
- Advance scientific discovery and research dissemination
- Advocate for physics and physicists, and amplify the voice for science
- Share the excitement of physics and communicate the essential role physics plays in the modern world
- Promote effective physics education for all
Core values are essential to shaping the culture of an organization. They provide the structure and guidance for how we conduct ourselves in our day-to-day interactions. Every employee has a responsibility for upholding these values. The behaviors and actions associated with demonstrating competency in these Core Values are described in a separate document.
Our Core Values:
- The Scientific Method
- Truth and Integrity
- Diversity, Inclusion, and Respect
- Partnering, Cooperation, and Open Collaboration
- Speaking Out
- Education and Learning
Amazing 2023 Benefit Offerings:
- Flexible schedules and ability to work remotely
- 8% employer-paid retirement contribution
- Investment advisement services: 100% employer paid
- Medical benefits: PPO or HDHP option
- Employer contribution to FSA or HSA account, eligibility based on medical plan enrollment
- Lifestyle Spending benefit up to $2000.00 (USD) - 100% employer paid
- Dental benefits: individual coverage 100% employer paid
- Vision benefits: individual and dependent coverage 100% employer paid
- Basic Life & Accident insurance: employee coverage 100% employer paid
- Supplemental Life & Accident insurance, including spouse & dependent child(ren) coverage
- Disability insurance: employee coverage 100% employer paid
- Voluntary Accident & Critical Illness insurance
- Healthcare, Commuter & Dependent care flexible spending accounts
- Vacation: 15 days annually
- Generous holiday leave: 17 paid days of significance; includes one week closure at the end of December
- Personal leave: 4 days annually
- Volunteer leave: 1 day annually
- Sick leave: 10 days annually
- Bereavement & Compassion leave: 2 -15 days based on loss
- 12 weeks employer-paid family leave
- College tuition reimbursement plan
- Job related seminar & continuing education
- Professional Certification/Recertification 100% employer paid
- Training and professional development; access to LinkedIn Learning on-demand courses
- Employee Assistance Program
- Mindfulness Meditation: live and on-demand classes
- APS does not offer relocation assistance/costs
The American Physical Society is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer. It is the policy of American Physical Society not to discriminate or allow the harassment of employees or applicants on the basis of race, religious creed, immigration status, alienage or citizenship, religion, color, ethnicity, sex, national origin, age, disability, marital status, familial status, protected veteran status, protected military status, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, predisposing genetic characteristics, ancestry, domestic violence victim status or any other characteristic protected by law with regard to any employment practices, including recruitment, advertising, job application procedures, hiring, upgrading, training, promotion, transfer, compensation, job assignments, benefits and/or other terms, conditions, or privileges of employment, provided the individual is qualified, with or without reasonable accommodations, to perform the essential functions of the job. This policy applies to all jobs at APS. The American Physical Society is committed to providing access, equal opportunity and reasonable accommodation for individuals with disabilities in employment, its services, programs, and activities. To request a reasonable accommodation, please contact APS Human Resources at email@example.com. The “Know Your Rights: Workplace Discrimination is Illegal'' poster, prepared by the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC), provides an overview of several laws that protect you from discrimination on the job, and several rights are afforded to you by these laws. The “Pay Transparency Non Discrimination Provision,” prepared by the U.S. Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs (OFCCP), provides an overview of several protections implemented to protect individuals working under federal contracts from discrimination when inquiring about or discussing compensation; these protections apply to all employees and applicants. The APS has a "remote first" concept that promotes equal treatment and equal access, independent of physical work location, with a majority of staff working primarily from remote work locations.