Associate Editor, Quantum Physics
|Title:||Associate Editor, Quantum Physics |
Associate Editor, Quantum Physics
Who we are:
The American Physical Society (APS) is a nonprofit membership organization working to advance and diffuse the knowledge of physics through its outstanding research journals, scientific meetings, and education, outreach, advocacy, and international activities. APS represents over 55,000 members, including physicists in academia, national laboratories, and industry in the United States and throughout the world. Society offices are located in College Park, MD (Headquarters), Ridge, NY, and Washington, D.C.
The Physical Review Journals seek an Editor in Quantum Information Science and Technology.
A Typical Week May Look Like This:
The Physical Review journals have a long and distinguished tradition in the field of Quantum Information. Following the recent expansion in quantum research and related funding initiatives across the globe, our publications are taking a more comprehensive account of the work from this field, going beyond traditional physics.
We are looking for a dynamic individual with a strong background and passion to engage with the growing quantum information community. The primary responsibility is to review the incoming manuscripts, conduct the peer review process and decide which papers meet our journals' criteria and merit publication.
Our editors stay engaged with the scientific community and abreast of the latest research by attending meetings and visiting research institutions around the world. In addition, editors may contribute to efforts by the Physical Review journals to publicize physics research beyond a pure physics audience.
A PhD in Quantum Information research or a broad related engineering and technology field and postdoctoral research experience are required. Excellent command of written and spoken English is essential. Previous editorial knowledge is not required but will be welcomed, valued and compensated accordingly.
The position is based at the editorial offices in Ridge, New York, on Long Island, 60 miles east of Manhattan, near Brookhaven National Laboratory and Stony Brook University. A significant and regular presence at Ridge is necessary but partial telecommuting could be negotiated. The successful candidate will join a collaborative international team of editors across the Physical Review journals.
We offer career stability with competitive salary and benefits to a qualified individual ready for a nontraditional career in physics.
- Maintain and expand, at a high level, broad knowledge of physics, along with academic background and research experience, to evaluate scientific content of manuscripts in a critical and independent manner.
- Decide to editorially reject or proceed with peer review based on the level of scientific advance as well as journal scope.
- Manage the peer review process including selecting referees, communicating with authors and referees, resolving conflicting recommendations, and handling the appeal process.
- Maintain high ethical standards and fairness at all editorial stages.
- Suggest top content for highlighting.
- Solicit high quality papers.
- Suggest candidates for Editorial Board positions.
- Participate in the selection of Outstanding Referees.
- Participate on editorial and cross-departmental projects to meet and support the goals of the office.
Develop and maintain strong ties with relevant research communities:
- Represent the journals and APS at scientific conferences, give presentations, and organize conference sessions.
- Interact with key researchers and groups at pertinent laboratories and Institutions.
- Actively engage and develop strong relationships and trust with a broad network of researchers from academia and industry.
Is This You:
- Ensure that Physical Review standards for general style, guidelines, and technical issues are maintained by communicating with authors, in-house journal support staff, and external vendors.
- Use tools to conduct, analyze, and enhance the peer review process.
- A PhD in Quantum Information research or a broad related engineering and technology field and postdoctoral research experience are required.
knowledge of Quantum Information scientific research literature and existing research groups.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, must be fluent in English (written and spoken).
- Ability to make independent decisions and evaluations.
- Strong organization, documentation, and prioritization skills.
- Excellent attention to detail and efficiency.
- Ability to work well with interdepartmental teams as well as independently.
- Most work performed in an office environment.
- Flexible work hours to accommodate the time differences for meetings and events as requested.
Position requires some business travel to attend conferences and events, and to interact with researchers at research institutions and universities.
To advance and diffuse the knowledge of physics for the benefit of humanity, promote physics, and serve the broader physics community, we:
- Provide a welcoming and supportive professional home for an active, engaged, and diverse membership
- Advance scientific discovery and research dissemination
- Advocate for physics and physicists, and amplify the voice for science
- Share the excitement of physics and communicate the essential role physics plays in the modern world
- Promote effective physics education for all
The core values that drive our mission are:
- The Scientific Method
- Truth and Integrity
- Diversity, Inclusion, and Respect
- Partnering, Cooperation, and Open Collaboration
- Speaking Out
- Education and Learning
The American Physical Society is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, ethnic or national origin, ancestry, pregnancy (including childbirth or related condition), citizenship, familial status, mental or physical disability, veteran status, genetic information, other non-disqualifying disability, or any other characteristic protected by law.
We welcome you to apply today!