Editorial Systems Assistant
|Title:||Editorial Systems Assistant|
Editorial Systems Assistant
Who we are
The American Physical Society (APS)
is a nonprofit membership organization working to advance and diffuse the knowledge of physics through its outstanding research journals, scientific meetings, and education, outreach, advocacy, and international activities. APS represents over 55,000 members, including physicists in academia, national laboratories, and industry in the United States and throughout the world. Society offices are located in College Park, MD (Headquarters), Ridge, NY, and Washington, D.C.
APS is seeking an Editorial Systems Assistant
to process various types of electronic correspondence and make accurate database entries related to scientific manuscripts. The position is based at the APS Editorial Office in Ridge, NY (LI Expressway exit 68 - near Brookhaven National Laboratory). Job hours: 7:30 a.m. - 3:30 p.m., Monday through Friday.
A Typical Week May Look Like This…
Is This You?
- Processes manuscripts and supplemental material received electronically
- Formats files using the appropriate version of LaTeX or Word
- Evaluates and processes various types of graphics files
- Creates PDF manuscript file for Editorial, peer review, and for use in production
- Inputs and maintains a wide range of database entries and flags
- Communicates with authors regarding any unresolved issues. This may require composition of correspondence and/or completion of standard letters to include information relevant to the individual author
- Undertakes additional Journal Operations related responsibilities, as assigned by Supervisor
This is Us!
- BS/BA or AA/AS preferred
- Minimum of two years experience in electronic communications and text editing.
- Ability to work in a high-volume environment with rapidly changing priorities.
- Knowledge of LaTex, Word, and PDF conversion desirable.
- Accurate keyboarding skills with minimum speed of 50 wpm.
- Strong organization, documentation, and prioritization skills.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Ability to work well with interdepartmental teams as well as independently.
The American Physical Society strives to:
- Be the leading voice for physics and an authoritative source of physics information for the advancement of physics and the benefit of humanity.
- Provide effective programs in support of the physics community and the conduct of physics.
- Collaborate with national scientific societies for the advancement of science, science education and the science community.
- Cooperate with international physics societies to promote physics, to support physicists worldwide and to foster international collaboration.
- Promote an active, engaged and diverse membership, and support the activities of its units and members.
The American Physical Society is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status.
We welcome you to apply today!