The American Physical Society (APS) is a nonprofit membership organization working to advance and diffuse the knowledge of physics through its outstanding research journals, scientific meetings, and education, outreach, advocacy, and international activities. APS represents over 55,000 members, including physicists in academia, national laboratories, and industry in the United States and throughout the world. Our headquarters are in College Park, Maryland.
Human Resources Generalist
Summary of the HR Generalist Position:
As a Human Resources professional, you work every day to support your organization’s greatest asset: its people. We’re seeking a Human Resources Generalist with exceptional customer service skills who is knowledgeable, motivated, and is a deadline and results driven self-starter. This position will entail payroll processing support, supporting employee relations issues, reporting and compensation analytics, regulatory compliance reporting, and onboarding. This role will also support Diversity/Equity/Inclusion, learning and development, recruitment, and general administrative support to the HR team.
Reporting to the Human Resources Manager, this "roll your sleeves up" position helps lead the execution of day-to-day human resources functions for our staff supporting our core values. The HR team directly supports 250 employees in 14+ states. Our HR Generalist will work out of our College Park, Maryland office and will work in a hybrid schedule to work both on-site and remote as needed.
APS values diversity and welcomes candidates from a variety of backgrounds. APS offers a dynamic work environment with an outstanding total compensation package including salary, outstanding benefits, and excellent paid time off.
Do You See Yourself Handling these Responsibilities:
Payroll and ADP Workforce Now Support:
- Manage system optimization, data integrity, maintenance and daily operation of our HRIS and associated modules in ADP Workforce Now including employment records related to hiring, termination, leaves, transfers, or promotions and auditing documentation to ensure compliance and updates as needed.
- Prepare payroll documents and review timecard accuracy.
- Drive system configuration of annual processes (e.g. open enrollment, EEO-1, annual merit).
- Assist in oversight of staff training and end user support with regard to systems.
- Ensure compliance with all applicable US federal, state and local laws.
Employee Relations Support:
- Act as supportive point of contact for our employees by providing helpful and responsive assistance.
- Answer standard questions about HR policies and benefits
- Respond to and support employee relation issues and escalate sensitive matters to the HR Manager or Associate HR Director as appropriate
- Conduct onboarding of new employees and manage the orientation program for welcoming and acclimating new employees, coordinate onboarding activities with IT and shared services, and facilitating new hire 30, 60, 90-day check-ins
- Facilitate exit interview meetings, compiles qualitative and quantitative feedback, identifies trends, and shares findings with HR Manager.
- Assist with the recruiting process including interview scheduling and post-offer administrative support
Learning & Professional Development Support
HR Leadership Team Support and DEI Support
- Co-coordinate development of departmental learning/training plans
- Assist with department and staff learning check-ins
- Co-coordinate platform content to evoke engagement
- Serve as backup for troubleshooting Learning Management System
Education & Credentials:
- Support HR initiatives aligned with our strategic plan and goals.
- Strengthen our culture and employee-friendly workplace.
- Support policy and process development and provide administrative support for the Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Working Group and associated campaigns
- Help build process improvements and department efficiencies using HR technologies.
- Conduct compensation benchmarking and participate in salary surveys.
- Serve as the Generalist to the HR Team (including HR Manager, Associate HR Director, Head of Diversity, Equity, & Belonging, Talent Acquisition Partner, and Chief HR Officer, assisting with various projects including administrative support (using Google Suite & Gmail, MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
Experience, Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Bachelor's degree in Human Resources, Business, or related field strongly preferred.
- Do you have a PHR or SHRM-CP? That would be terrific (but not required).
- 2+ years of experience working in HR or relevant experience combined with education in an HR related field.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel, Word, Google Gmail, Google Docs, Power Point
- Experience in ADP/WorkForce Now (or other Payroll/HRIS system).
- Intermediate proficiency with MS Office or Google Docs to prepare
- Experience in administration of benefits and other HR programs preferred
- Ability to adapt to changes in the work environment, prioritize responsibilities to work efficiently in a fast-paced environment and respond quickly to concerns
- Do you love details and staying organized? Great! This job demands strong attention to detail, the ability to prioritize and keep deadlines with minimal supervision
- Do you love HR technologies? Outstanding! This job demands daily work using HR technologies to improve how we serve our workforce
- Do you love working with teams across the organization? Whew. Just checking. This job requires this skill A LOT!
- The APS has a “remote first” concept that promotes equal treatment and equal access, independent of physical work location, with a majority of staff working primarily from remote work locations. This position will require periodic presence in the College Park office.
Mission of APS:
To advance and diffuse the knowledge of physics for the benefit of humanity, promote physics, and serve the broader physics community, we:
- Provide a welcoming and supportive professional home for an active, engaged, and diverse membership
- Advance scientific discovery and research dissemination
- Advocate for physics and physicists, and amplify the voice for science
- Share the excitement of physics and communicate the essential role physics plays in the modern world
- Promote effective physics education for all
Core Values of APS:
- The Scientific Method
- Truth and Integrity
- Diversity, Inclusion, and Respect
- Partnering, Cooperation, and Open Collaboration
- Speaking Out
- Education and Learning
Some of our amazing benefits include:
- Generous vacation, sick and personal leave
- Remote First work environment
- 10 weeks paid family leave
- APS paid retirement contribution
- Medical, dental, vision; APS pays the majority of the premiums
- Training and professional development opportunities
- Access to APS paid financial advisors
- Paid year end office closure the week between Christmas and New Year’s Day
The American Physical Society is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer. It is the policy of American Physical Society not to discriminate or allow the harassment of employees or applicants on the basis of race, religious creed, alienage or citizenship, religion, color, ethnicity, sex, national origin, age, disability, marital status, familial status, protected veteran status, protected military status, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, predisposing genetic characteristics, ancestry, domestic violence victim status or any other characteristic protected by law with regard to any employment practices, including recruitment, advertising, job application procedures, hiring, upgrading, training, promotion, transfer, compensation, job assignments, benefits and/or other terms, conditions, or privileges of employment, provided the individual is qualified, with or without reasonable accommodations, to perform the essential functions of the job. This policy applies to all jobs at APS. The American Physical Society is committed to providing access, equal opportunity and reasonable accommodation for individuals with disabilities in employment, its services, programs, and activities. To request reasonable accommodation, please contact APS Human Resources.
The APS has a “remote first” concept that promotes equal treatment and equal access, independent of physical work location, with a majority of staff working primarily from remote work locations. This position will require periodic presence in the College Park office.
We welcome you to apply today!