Membership Honors Program Manager
|Title:||Membership Honors Program Manager|
|Location:||College Park, MD|
Honors Program Manager
College Park, MD
Who we are
The American Physical Society (APS) is a nonprofit membership organization working to advance and diffuse the knowledge of physics through its outstanding research journals, scientific meetings, and education, outreach, advocacy, and international activities. APS represents over 55,000 members, including physicists in academia, national laboratories, and industry in the United States and throughout the world. Society offices are located in College Park, MD (Headquarters), Ridge, NY, and Washington, D.C.
The Honors Program Manager will facilitate the annual nomination, selection and recognition of APS Prize and Award winners, new APS Fellows, and APS Historic Sites. Work directly with the various selection committees, Prizes & Awards Coordinator, Fellowship Coordinator and other staff as needed to ensure that all aspects of the Honors Program are completed in an efficient and timely manner.
A Typical Week May Look Like This…
- Liaison to the APS Committees: Prizes & Awards, Fellowship, and Historic Sites.
- Administer the Prizes & Awards and APS Fellowship approval process.
- Work closely with unit executive and the Prizes and Award Coordinator to promote the related prize or award and solicit nominations.
- Solicit, or work with units to identify, members to serve on selection committees.
- Assist selection committee chairs with procedures for evaluating nominations and resolving any conflict of interest concerns that arise.
- Facilitate selection committee discussions when needed.
- Work with Meetings Department on the placement of recipients/invited talks at Society meetings.
- Work with unit executive committees and the Fellowship Coordinator to promote APS Fellowship and solicit nominations.
- Oversee the calculations and selection process for APS Fellows.
- Oversee coordination with Presidential line members and CEO to facilitate 2-4 annual fellowship receptions.
- Work with the Development Department to ensure all preparations are made for APS Prizes & Awards Ceremonies.
- Assist the Society CEO with presentation of certificates, awards, and medals at annual APS Prizes & Awards ceremonies.
- Develop & execute plan to increase promotion of all P&A recipients and new APS Fellows to the community.
- Coordinate with the APS Historic Sites Committee to review and select future historic sites; including production and delivery of historic site plaques and coordination of events that recognize new sites.
Who You'll Work With...
Is This You?
- Direct relationship with Prizes & Awards Coordinator, Fellowship Coordinator, Director of Membership, Director of Development and Communications/Graphic Design team.
- Communicates regularly with unit officers, selection committee members and APS Council of Representatives.
- 2 direct reports – Fellowship Coordinator and Prizes & Awards Coordinator
- Assist with creation and management of budgets in excess of $150K that cover the administration of the APS Medal, Prizes, Awards and Fellows Receptions.
- Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s degree is desirable, or equivalent work experience with a science background.
- PMP certification a plus
- 3+ years of experience and demonstrated accomplishments in program administration, volunteer management and/or project management.
- 2 + years supervisory experience preferred.
- Familiarity with the physics/science research community desired.
- Proficiency with all Microsoft Office Suite products, in particular, Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Proficiency with Google Docs and other online shared document products.
- Strong organization, documentation, and prioritization skills.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Ability to adapt to quickly changing schedules.
- Ability to work well with interdepartmental teams as well as independently.
- Position may require approximately 25% business travel time annually to attend meetings and events.
This is Us!
To advance and diffuse the knowledge of physics for the benefit of humanity, promote physics, and serve the broader physics community, we:
- Provide a welcoming and supportive professional home for an active, engaged, and diverse membership
- Advance scientific discovery and research dissemination
- Advocate for physics and physicists, and amplify the voice for science
- Share the excitement of physics and communicate the essential role physics plays in the modern world
- Promote effective physics education for all
The core values that drive our mission are:
- The Scientific Method
- Truth and Integrity
- Diversity, Inclusion, and Respect
- Partnering, Cooperation, and Open Collaboration
- Speaking Out
- Education and Learning
The American Physical Society is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, ethnic or national origin, ancestry, pregnancy (including childbirth or related condition), citizenship, familial status, mental or physical disability, veteran status, generic information, other non-disqualifying disability, or any other characteristic protect by law.
We welcome you to apply today!
This opening is closed and is no longer accepting applications