Women & Education Programs Coordinator
|Title:||Women & Education Programs Coordinator|
|Location:||College Park, MD|
Women & Education Programs Coordinator
College Park, MD
Who we are
The American Physical Society (APS) is a nonprofit membership organization working to advance and diffuse the knowledge of physics through its outstanding research journals, scientific meetings, and education, outreach, advocacy, and international activities. APS represents over 55,000 members, including physicists in academia, national laboratories, and industry in the United States and throughout the world. Society offices are located in College Park, MD (Headquarters), Ridge, NY, and Washington, D.C.
The Women & Education Programs Coordinator provides essential administrative support to the Committee on the Status of Women in Physics (CSWP), Conferences for Undergraduate Women in Physics (CUWiP), and the Committee on Education (COE). In addition, this position supports and assists with other department activities as needed.
A Typical Week May Look Like This…
Is This You?
- Act as lead coordinator for CSWP and COE programs
- Coordinate all aspects of assigned committee activities for CSWP and COE, including climate site visits, networking events, etc.
- Coordinate logistics for in-person committee meetings and events, video conferences, and subcommittee meetings
- Moderate committee listservs and online groups
- Maintain webpages related to CSWP and COE
- Assist with organizing one-day meeting for CUWiP conference organizers
- Coordinate communications for the CUWiP National Organizing Committee
- Assist with organizing CUWiP registration process and communications with participants
- Organize and maintain accurate filing of documents associated with projects
- Process invoices and assist with tracking expenses.
- Work collaboratively with the coordinator team
- Help build positive relations within the department and external parties
This is Us!
- Possess a Bachelor’s degree or demonstrated work experience.
- Possess a minimum three years of work experience.
- Ability to work independently with little or no supervision for extended periods, proactively identify and respond to needs, and exercise judgment.
- Ability to take initiative in identifying and responding to issues as they arise.
- Ability to handle several complex projects simultaneously and adapt to quickly changing schedules.
- Computer skills and high level of proficiency in standard office software.
- Excellent attention to detail is mandatory.
- Customer service orientation and ability to communicate clearly.
- Ability to resolve conflicts constructively, and to empathize and understand perspectives of others.
- Willingness and ability to work as a team player.
- Strong skills in organization, documentation, and prioritization as well as strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to travel a few times a year to attend conferences and meetings.
The American Physical Society strives to:
- Be the leading voice for physics and an authoritative source of physics information for the advancement of physics and the benefit of humanity.
- Provide effective programs in support of the physics community and the conduct of physics.
- Collaborate with national scientific societies for the advancement of science, science education and the science community.
- Cooperate with international physics societies to promote physics, to support physicists worldwide and to foster international collaboration.
- Promote an active, engaged and diverse membership, and support the activities of its units and members.
The American Physical Society is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, disability or veteran status.
We welcome you to apply today!
This opening is closed and is no longer accepting applications