Science Communications Manager
|Title:||Science Communications Manager|
|Location:||College Park, MD|
Science Communications Manager
College Park, MD
Who we are
The American Physical Society (APS) is a nonprofit membership organization working to advance and diffuse the knowledge of physics through its outstanding research journals, scientific meetings, and education, outreach, advocacy, and international activities. APS represents over 55,000 members, including physicists in academia, national laboratories, and industry in the United States and throughout the world. Society offices are located in College Park, MD (Headquarters), Ridge, NY, and Washington, D.C.
The Science Communications Manager will support the media activities of the American Physical Society, drawing from their expertise in science writing, communications, and media relations. The position will write accurate materials regarding scientific content and serve as a liaison to the press, connecting the global science journalism community with content from APS publications and meetings.
A Typical Week May Look Like This…
- Work with authors, APS Editors, meeting organizers, and presenters to identify press worthy content and secure positive and accurate media coverage of peer-reviewed journal and scientific meeting content.
- Write and disseminate accurate, informative, and compelling press releases, tip sheets, and media materials regarding scientific content including weekly tip sheets promoting Physical Review papers.
- Serve as a point of contact for media covering scientific content and liaise with PIOs of published authors to coordinate the promotion of articles.
- Manage media inquiries, scheduling of press conferences, and interview requests related to APS publications and meetings.
- Nurture a strong network, build relationships with thought leaders, and pitch stories to journalists.
- Continually seek to improve on the promotion of APS content in ways that align with the organization’s strategic goals.
- Support internal departments’ social media outreach activities including content creation and community engagement.
- Monitor news coverage and prepare regular reports of media activity.
- Oversee the work of consultants and science writers, as needed.
Education: Bachelor’s degree in physics, physical science, science communications, science writing, or journalism
This position could require up to 25% of business travel to attend meetings and visit APS offices.
This position can be located in either the Ridge, New York or College Park, Maryland office.
Is This You?
This is Us!
- 4 years of related experience in science writing and media relations for a scientific institution.
- Exceptional communicator—with impeccable science writing, editing, and presentation skills.
- Ability to work with scientists, editors, and journalists in a professional and diplomatic way.
- Experience within a university, national laboratory, association, or other research organization.
- Experience serving as a liaison to the press.
- Familiarity with PR and social media management systems, such as Meltwater and SproutSocial.
- Familiarity with science research and scientific publishing is preferred.
- Professional experience with social media.
- Knowledge and curiosity about physics.
- Ability to ensure scientific accuracy in communication activities.
The American Physical Society strives to:
- Be the leading voice for physics and an authoritative source of physics information for the advancement of physics and the benefit of humanity.
- Provide effective programs in support of the physics community and the conduct of physics.
- Collaborate with national scientific societies for the advancement of science, science education and the science community.
- Cooperate with international physics societies to promote physics, to support physicists worldwide and to foster international collaboration.
- Promote an active, engaged and diverse membership, and support the activities of its units and members.
The American Physical Society is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, disability or veteran status.
We welcome you to apply today!