|Location:||College Park, MD|
College Park, MD
As an accounting professional, you work every day to ensure your organization’s finances are in order, so it can better accomplish its mission and goals. At the American Physical Society, our mission is to support the physics community and a large network of science professionals. We’re looking for a Staff Accountant to join us in our mission. You’ll do more than crunch numbers – your efforts will ensure the financial health of APS, and directly support our mission to advance the physical sciences.
As the new Staff Accountant for APS, you’ll be responsible for performing weekly accounting tasks, and participate in the monthly close process by performing various entries and reconciliations. You’ll work with the Accounting Team to maintain sound accounting practices for our headquarters in College Park, MD.
At typical day may look like this:
- Prepare journal entries.
- Assist with audit fieldwork for both operational and financial audits.
- Support month-end and year-end close.
- Prepare financial statements, journal entries and account reconciliations.
- Reconcile and balance general ledger accounts.
- Research and correct account discrepancies.
- Provide timely ad hock and special reports as requested.
Is This You?
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Accounting, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 1+ years of accounting experience required.
- You’re a self-starter, and ready to hit the ground running. You need little supervision.
- You’re highly organized: you can keep track of busy schedules, and change tasks and priorities on a dime.
- You’re polished and professional, and have strong communication skills.
- You enjoy working with a team, and work well when collaborating with others.
- Experience in Lawson ERP system is a plus.
- Advanced level of proficiency in Microsoft Excel required.
- If you’ve worked with a nonprofit organization in the past, all the better!
This is Us!
To advance and diffuse the knowledge of physics for the benefit of humanity, promote physics, and serve the broader physics community, we:
- Provide a welcoming and supportive professional home for an active, engaged, and diverse membership
- Advance scientific discovery and research dissemination
- Advocate for physics and physicists, and amplify the voice for science
- Share the excitement of physics and communicate the essential role physics plays in the modern world
- Promote effective physics education for all
The core values that drive our mission are:
- The Scientific Method
- Truth and Integrity
- Diversity, Inclusion, and Respect
- Partnering, Cooperation, and Open Collaboration
- Speaking Out
- Education and Learning
The American Physical Society is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, ethnic or national origin, ancestry, pregnancy (including childbirth or related condition), citizenship, familial status, mental or physical disability, veteran status, genetic information, other non-disqualifying disability, or any other characteristic protected by law.
We welcome you to apply today!
This opening is closed and is no longer accepting applications