Who we are:
Senior Software Developer
The American Physical Society (APS) is a nonprofit membership organization working to advance and diffuse the knowledge of physics through its outstanding research journals, scientific meetings, and education, outreach, advocacy, and international activities. APS represents more than 50,000 members, including physicists in academia, national laboratories, and industry in the United States and throughout the world.
As an American Physical Society Senior Software Developer, you'll work on everything from customer-facing web and mobile applications using cutting-edge open-source frameworks to back-end Ruby and Java-based systems using the latest techniques. The ideal candidate will bring solid experience in emerging and traditional technologies such as Java, AngularJS, Clojure, React, Python, XML, Ruby, relational databases, Unix, Linux iOS, and AWS/Cloud Infrastructure, to name a few. So join us, apply today!
The APS has a “remote first” concept that promotes equal treatment and equal access, independent of physical work location, with a majority of staff working primarily from remote work locations. This position could require at times in office work, various geographic events and meeting attendance as instructed by your Supervisor. APS values diversity and welcomes candidates from a variety of backgrounds. APS offers a dynamic work environment with an outstanding total compensation package including salary, outstanding benefits, and excellent paid time off.
A Typical Week May Look Like This:
Is This You:
- Work within and across Agile teams to design, develop, test, implement, and support technical solutions.
- Lead the craftsmanship, availability, resilience, and scalability of your solutions.
- Bring a passion to stay on top of tech trends, experiment with and learn new technologies, participate in internal & external technology communities, and mentor other members of the engineering community.
- Encourage innovation, implementation of cutting-edge technologies, inclusion, outside-of-the-box thinking, teamwork, self-organization, and diversity.
- Creating user stories to the level of granularity required by the team.
- Clarifying inconsistencies and resolving issues to bridge the gap between user expectations and the delivered product.
- Implementation of code and configuration, reviewing relevant work results, performing coding and configuration tasks.
- Testing deliverables against a user story’s acceptance criteria to validate that the delivered product meets the business goals.
- Participates in technical meetings and code reviews, providing feedback to others when needed. Presents techniques, tools, or other topics to the group as required. Helps mentor other developers.
- Contributes bug fixes or modest enhancements back to open-source projects when applicable.
Education: Bachelors degree or equivalent experience.
Experience: Minimally 3 years of practical software development experience.
Travel: Position may require some business travel to attend meetings and events as directed by supervisor.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Minimally 3 years of practical software development experience.
- Experience with an object-oriented programming language is essential; proficiency in Ruby, Java, and/or Clojure as well as modern frontend development techniques preferred.
- Web services experience and understanding of basic web protocols and standards is important.
- Familiarity with Unix, Linux or Mac software development environments and command-line and scripting tools is expected.
- Strong organization, documentation, and prioritization skills.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Ability to adapt to quickly changing schedules.
- Ability to work well with interdepartmental teams as well as independently.
To advance and diffuse the knowledge of physics for the benefit of humanity, promote physics, and serve the broader physics community, we:
- Provide a welcoming and supportive professional home for an active, engaged, and diverse membership
- Advance scientific discovery and research dissemination
- Advocate for physics and physicists, and amplify the voice for science
- Share the excitement of physics and communicate the essential role physics plays in the modern world
- Promote effective physics education for all
The core values that drive our mission are:
- The Scientific Method
- Truth and Integrity
- Diversity, Inclusion, and Respect
- Partnering, Cooperation, and Open Collaboration
- Speaking Out
- Education and Learning
The American Physical Society is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer. It is the policy of American Physical Society not to discriminate or allow the harassment of employees or applicants on the basis of race, religious creed, alienage or citizenship, religion, color, ethnicity, sex, national origin, age, disability, marital status, familial status, protected veteran status, protected military status, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, predisposing genetic characteristics, ancestry, domestic violence victim status or any other characteristic protected by law with regard to any employment practices, including recruitment, advertising, job application procedures, hiring, upgrading, training, promotion, transfer, compensation, job assignments, benefits and/or other terms, conditions, or privileges of employment, provided the individual is qualified, with or without reasonable accommodations, to perform the essential functions of the job. This policy applies to all jobs at APS. The American Physical Society is committed to providing access, equal opportunity and reasonable accommodation for individuals with disabilities in employment, its services, programs, and activities. To request a reasonable accommodation, please contact APS Human Resources at email@example.com.
All APS Employees must be vaccinated and provide proof of vaccination via our secured vaccination portal Safeter upon hire, unless they have an HR approved medical or religious exemption. The APS has a “remote first” concept that promotes equal treatment and equal access, independent of physical work location, with a majority of staff working primarily from remote work locations. PM21