At the American Physical Society, we support the physics community and a large network of science professionals. We’re looking for an experienced individual to lead the development and operations of several significant education and diversity programs within APS. Your efforts will help lead and support efforts across a broad range of projects that impact students, faculty, and professionals throughout the physics community.
- Develop initiative and provide project management and oversight for several key APS programs. These programs include: Effective Practices for Physics Programs (EP3), Inclusive Graduate Education Network (IGEN), Moore Foundation Grant, and the Innovation Fund. To learn more about these programs, head to aps.org/programs.
- Interact with project partners, volunteers, and other members of the community to advance project and APS goals.
- Organize, prioritize, and execute complex programmatic activities.
- Work with the Director to establish priorities for staffing and project priorities.
- Write and edit articles, progress reports, proposals and other supporting materials.
- Create and track project budgets.
- Organize and hold meetings with APS staff, external constituents, and other key players to develop and refine ideas and project strategies.
- Work with APS team members and outside consultants to define and use metrics to gauge project success.
- Document and organize materials that support the development of these efforts.
- Represent APS at meetings, conferences, and in university, private-sector, and national lab settings.
- Ph.D. or equivalent in physics or a related discipline.
- 3+ years of experience in managing physics programs.
- Experience in program administration desired.
- Knowledge of assessment measures desired.
- Ability to create graphics that promote and describe project activities desired.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong organization and documentation skills, and the ability to shift priorities when necessary.
This is Us!
To advance and diffuse the knowledge of physics for the benefit of humanity, promote physics, and serve the broader physics community, we:
- Provide a welcoming and supportive professional home for an active, engaged, and diverse membership
- Advance scientific discovery and research dissemination
- Advocate for physics and physicists, and amplify the voice for science
- Share the excitement of physics and communicate the essential role physics plays in the modern world
- Promote effective physics education for all
The core values that drive our mission are:
- The Scientific Method
- Truth and Integrity
- Diversity, Inclusion, and Respect
- Partnering, Cooperation, and Open Collaboration
- Speaking Out
- Education and Learning
The American Physical Society is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, ethnic or national origin, ancestry, pregnancy (including childbirth or related condition), citizenship, familial status, mental or physical disability, veteran status, genetic information, other non-disqualifying disability, or any other characteristic protected by law.
We welcome you to apply today!