|Location:||College Park, MD|
Who we are:
The American Physical Society (APS) is a nonprofit membership organization working to advance and diffuse the knowledge of physics through its outstanding research journals, scientific meetings, and education, outreach, advocacy, and international activities. APS represents over 55,000 members, including physicists in academia, national laboratories, and industry in the United States and throughout the world. Society offices are located in College Park, MD (Headquarters), Ridge, NY, and Washington, D.C.
The Meetings Coordinator role is ideal for an individual who is seeking the opportunity to work in an exciting and fast-paced environment, for an organization that values its over 50,000 members advancing everyday life through physics. The Meetings Coordinator will assist in the planning and management of APS in-house and off-site meetings. This individual will manage the sourcing database for APS meetings, tracking of responses, and generating reports from the system. This position will work with the APS Senior Meetings Registrar to help process meeting registrations for members all over the world. The ability to travel is required to assist in onsite registration. This individual will be responsible for managing registration for smaller meetings onsite.
A Typical Week May Look Like This:
- Assisting in the planning and management of APS in-house and offsite meetings.
- Assisting in sourcing of APS meetings, tracking of responses and generating reports from the system.
- Process meeting registrations, including registrations for sections.
- Onsite work to assist with registration.
- Management of registration for smaller APS meetings.
- Serving as a scribe for the COSM committee, collecting minutes.
- Editing signage copy.
- Updating meetings calendars as well as meetings web information.
- Processing miscellaneous letters and/or visas needed for invitation.
- Assisting with preparation of post-conference reports.
- Assisting with sorters meetings as needed.
- Providing administrative support to the meetings department.
- Other duties as assigned.
- All education levels considered.
- Experience in planning small meetings is a plus.
- Must have excellent interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Proofreading and editing knowledge.
- Solid database entry and word processing.
- Excellent customer service skills required.
- Strong organization, documentation, and prioritization skills.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Ability to adapt to quickly changing schedules.
- Ability to work well with interdepartmental teams as well as independently.
- Ability to sit for long periods of time at a desk or computer terminal.
- Ability to stoop, bend, twist and reach when handing registration supplies.
- Flexibility with work hours to accommodate the time differences for meetings/events as requested.
- Ability to lift 25 lbs.
Position will require business travel to attend meetings and events as directed by supervisor.
To advance and diffuse the knowledge of physics for the benefit of humanity, promote physics, and serve the broader physics community, we:
- Provide a welcoming and supportive professional home for an active, engaged, and diverse membership
- Advance scientific discovery and research dissemination
- Advocate for physics and physicists, and amplify the voice for science
- Share the excitement of physics and communicate the essential role physics plays in the modern world
- Promote effective physics education for all
The core values that drive our mission are:
- The Scientific Method
- Truth and Integrity
- Diversity, Inclusion, and Respect
- Partnering, Cooperation, and Open Collaboration
- Speaking Out
- Education and Learning
The American Physical Society is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, ethnic or national origin, ancestry, pregnancy (including childbirth or related condition), citizenship, familial status, mental or physical disability, veteran status, genetic information, other non-disqualifying disability, or any other characteristic protected by law.
We welcome you to apply today!
This opening is closed and is no longer accepting applications