Who we are:
The American Physical Society (APS) is a nonprofit membership organization working to advance and diffuse the knowledge of physics through its outstanding research journals, scientific meetings, and education, outreach, advocacy, and international activities. APS represents more than 50,000 members, including physicists in academia, national laboratories, and industry in the United States and throughout the world.
The Account Coordinator will support the Society’s publishing revenue generation by executing tactics to meet targets and achieve objectives set by senior members of the Publishing Sales Team for generating approximately $40-45 million in revenues annually. This role will also be responsible for completing tasks that support customers, the Sales Team, and key third-party partners.
This position’s focus is to provide three key items to APS:
The APS has a “remote first” concept that promotes equal treatment and equal access, independent of physical work location, with a majority of staff working primarily from remote work locations. This position could require at times in office work, various geographic events and meeting attendance as instructed by your Supervisor. APS values diversity and welcomes candidates from a variety of backgrounds. APS offers a dynamic work environment with an outstanding total compensation package including salary, outstanding benefits, and excellent paid time off.
A Typical Week May Look Like This:
- Manage a list of subscription accounts, negotiate pricing, and identify and act upon upsell opportunities.
- Handle customer inquiries including those related to online licensing, IP updates, tier classifications, ad hoc quotes, usage statistics, librarian user account setup, turn-away reports, trial access, etc.
- Liaise between subscribers and the subscription-service team to ensure smooth subscription fulfillment and operations.
- Ensure CRM data-including contact, order, and payment information-is clean, accurate, and up to date.
Is This You:
- Serve as the first point-of-contact for existing and potential customers, including providing timely responses to emails, phone calls, and other communications.
- Triage and assign customer queries to appropriate colleague(s).
- Track tickets and tasks to ensure timely follow up with customers.
- Follow up with customers regarding quotes, orders, invoices, delivery of products, and other matters.
- Create and update sales database records by following protocols designed to ensure consistent, clean, and functional business-critical data.
- Pull and organize account, license, usage, and other data towards fulfilling customer requests and assisting colleagues with analysis and proposal development.
- Pull and distribute reports to colleagues across the Sales team, Publishing department, and other functions at APS.
- Assist Sales team members with management of leads, opportunities, licensing, supporting documents, and other operational tasks associated with the journals licensing business.
- Collaborate with Finance department colleagues on queries regarding customer accounts, orders, invoices, and other matters, as necessary.
- Assist Sales team and Publishing department members with scheduling calls, meetings, and travel, as necessary.
Education: High School Diploma or GED or equivalency required. Associates or bachelor’s degree preferred, or equivalent experience in customer service, sales, and/or marketing.
Experience, Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Travel: The position requires frequent travel to conduct site and vendor assessments, and to attend meetings and events as part of its core responsibilities, as well as additional travel as assigned.
- Minimum 2 years of experience in customer service, sales, or marketing with a history of progressive achievement.
- Customer focus
- Drive for results
- Ability to follow processes and identify opportunities for improving system
- Exemplary skills in customer service
- Excellent time-management and organizational skills
- Strong organization, documentation, and prioritization skills
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent attention to detail
- Ability to adapt to changing priorities and overcoming challenges
- Ability to work well with interdepartmental teams as well as independently
- Ability to take initiative in identifying and responding to issues as they arise
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite required.
- Experience with databases, and preferably CRM systems such as Saleforce
- Excellent attention to detail
- Desire to develop skills in relationship building, price negotiation, data and account management in support of the APS mission
To advance and diffuse the knowledge of physics for the benefit of humanity, promote physics, and serve the broader physics community, we:
- Provide a welcoming and supportive professional home for an active, engaged, and diverse membership
- Advance scientific discovery and research dissemination
- Advocate for physics and physicists, and amplify the voice for science
- Share the excitement of physics and communicate the essential role physics plays in the modern world
- Promote effective physics education for all
Our Core Values:
- The Scientific Method
- Truth and Integrity
- Diversity, Inclusion, and Respect
- Partnering, Cooperation, and Open Collaboration
- Speaking Out
- Education and Learning
Amazing 2022 Benefit Offerings:
- Flexible schedules and ability to work remotely
- 8% employer-paid retirement contribution
- Investment advisement services: 100% employer paid
- Medical benefits: PPO or HDHP option
- Employer contribution to FSA or HSA account, eligibility based on medical plan enrollment
- Dental benefits: individual coverage 100% employer paid
- Vision benefits: individual and dependent coverage 100% employer paid
- Basic Life & Accident insurance: employee coverage 100% employer paid
- Supplemental Life & Accident insurance, including spouse & dependent child(ren) coverage
- Disability insurance: employee coverage 100% employer paid
- Healthcare, Commuter & Dependent care flexible spending accounts
- Vacation: 15 days annually
- Generous holiday leave: 14 paid days of significance; includes one week closure at the end of December
- Personal leave: 4 days annually
- Volunteer leave: 1 day annually
- Sick leave: 10 days annually
- 10 weeks employer-paid family leave
- College tuition reimbursement plan
- Job related seminar & continuing education
- Training and professional development; access to LinkedIn Learning on-demand courses
- Employee Assistance Program
- Mindfulness Meditation: live and on-demand classes
The American Physical Society is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer. It is the policy of American Physical Society not to discriminate or allow the harassment of employees or applicants on the basis of race, religious creed, alienage or citizenship, religion, color, ethnicity, sex, national origin, age, disability, marital status, familial status, protected veteran status, protected military status, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, predisposing genetic characteristics, ancestry, domestic violence victim status or any other characteristic protected by law with regard to any employment practices, including recruitment, advertising, job application procedures, hiring, upgrading, training, promotion, transfer, compensation, job assignments, benefits and/or other terms, conditions, or privileges of employment, provided the individual is qualified, with or without reasonable accommodations, to perform the essential functions of the job. This policy applies to all jobs at APS. The American Physical Society is committed to providing access, equal opportunity and reasonable accommodation for individuals with disabilities in employment, its services, programs, and activities. To request reasonable accommodation, please contact APS Human Resources at email@example.com.
All APS Employees must be vaccinated and provide proof of vaccination via our secured vaccination portal Safeter upon hire, unless they have an HR approved medical or religious exemption. The APS has a “remote first” concept that promotes equal treatment and equal access, independent of physical work location, with a majority of staff working primarily from remote work locations. #LI-SB1