Director of Meetings
|Title:||Director of Meetings|
|Location:||College Park, MD|
Director of Meetings
College Park, MD
CALLING FEARLESS MEETINGS LEADERS!
The American Physical Society is looking for a Director of Meetings
who thrives on challenges to join our leadership team. This is an amazing opportunity for a strategically-minded Meetings Leader. The Director of Meetings develops and delivers multiple high-quality APS conferences and events that successfully expand the global reach of our Society to advance our mission to support of the physics community and benefit humanity. If you thrive on challenges, multi-tasking, and leading a team of meetings professionals, this is the opportunity for you!
A Typical Week May Look Like This…
Is This You?
Education, Certification, and Affiliations:
- Inspire strategies to deliver outstanding meetings and events to further the mission of APS.
- Design, develop, and implement successful meetings and events.
- Identify and seize opportunities to increase and develop the portfolio of APS meetings and events.
- Serve as staff liaison to the Committee on Scientific Meetings, the March Meeting Program Committee, and the April Meeting Program Committee.
- Lead, coach, and mentor an amazing team of 7 to plan and produce exceptional quality meetings and events.
- Collaborate with peers across APS.
- Work with external professional stakeholders (e.g., vendors, unions, government agencies/institutes, academic institutions, and other professional societies) to secure competitive agreements, mitigate risk, forge strategic alliances, etc.
- Advise and support external volunteer stakeholders, e.g., elected APS volunteer leaders and committees.
- The position requires frequent travel to conduct site and vendor assessments, and to attend meetings and events as part of its core responsibilities, as well as additional travel as assigned.
Experience, Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Bachelor’s degree required. Master’s degree preferred.
- Certified Meeting Professional (CMP) designation required. Certified Association Executive (CAE) designation preferred.
- Active engagement with relevant professional association(s) preferred.
- 10+ years of progressive experience in the meetings, preferably within an international, nonprofit science-related society. (You should be an accomplished meetings manager, with an excellent track record of putting on successful large national and regional events with up to 10,000+ attendees).
- 5+ years of progressive management experience. (You enjoy coaching and developing a team of meetings professionals).
- Possess excellent interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills. (You will make a lot presentations!)
- Superior attention to detail, with first-class organizational skills. (This is the meetings world, after all... details are everything!).
- Fluency with standard MS office (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Outlook), event management, AMS, and project management software (Salesforce is helpful).
If this sounds like YOU, we want to hear from you! Please apply below for immediate consideration.
The American Physical Society strives to:
- Be the leading voice for physics and an authoritative source of physics information for the advancement of physics and the benefit of humanity.
- Provide effective programs in support of the physics community and the conduct of physics.
- Collaborate with national scientific societies for the advancement of science, science education and the science community.
- Cooperate with international physics societies to promote physics, to support physicists worldwide and to foster international collaboration.
- Promote an active, engaged and diverse membership, and support the activities of its units and members.
The American Physical Society is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, disability or veteran status.