|Location:||College Park, MD|
Who we are:
The American Physical Society (APS) is a nonprofit membership organization working to advance and diffuse the knowledge of physics through its outstanding research journals, scientific meetings, and education, outreach, advocacy, and international activities. APS represents over 55,000 members, including physicists in academia, national laboratories, and industry in the United States and throughout the world. Society offices are located in College Park, MD (Headquarters), Ridge, NY, and Washington, D.C.
Reporting to the Science Communications Manager, the Science Writer will support the American Physical Society’s public relations team in raising awareness of research published in APS journals and presented at APS meetings. The Science Writer will produce short- and long-form articles that convey the excitement of physics and articulate the essential role the physical sciences play in the modern world. A cover letter must be provided for consideration. Open to remote candidates.
A Typical Week May Look Like This:
Is This You:
- Assist in the identification of newsworthy scientific content for promotion to the press and via social media
- Contribute short, engaging summaries of APS journal articles to a weekly tip sheet for reporters.
- Write and edit press releases about scientific presentations at March Meeting, April Meeting, and various APS division meetings.
- Write occasional stories for APS News or other APS outlets, as assigned.
- Identify multimedia assets to accompany written content.
- Bachelor's degree in physics or related science. A Master’s degree in science writing or journalism is a plus.
- 2+ years of experience writing about science for a newspaper, magazine, or research institution.
- Exceptional reporting and interviewing skills—must be comfortable speaking with scientists about highly technical topics on the phone, video conference, and in-person.
- Ability to distill complex information into clear and concise prose.
- Demonstrated understanding of journalistic standards and ethics.
To advance and diffuse the knowledge of physics for the benefit of humanity, promote physics, and serve the broader physics community, we:
- Provide a welcoming and supportive professional home for an active, engaged, and diverse membership
- Advance scientific discovery and research dissemination
- Advocate for physics and physicists, and amplify the voice for science
- Share the excitement of physics and communicate the essential role physics plays in the modern world
- Promote effective physics education for all
The Core Values that Drive Our Mission are:
- The Scientific Method
- Truth and Integrity
- Diversity, Inclusion, and Respect
- Partnering, Cooperation, and Open Collaboration
- Speaking Out
- Education and Learning
The American Physical Society is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, ethnic or national origin, ancestry, pregnancy (including childbirth or related condition), citizenship, familial status, mental or physical disability, veteran status, genetic information, other non-disqualifying disability, or any other characteristic protected by law.
We welcome you to apply today!
This opening is closed and is no longer accepting applications