Staff Accountant - General Services
|Title:||Staff Accountant - General Services|
Who we are:
Staff Accountant - General Services
The American Physical Society (APS) is a nonprofit membership organization working to advance and diffuse the knowledge of physics through its outstanding research journals, scientific meetings, and education, outreach, advocacy, and international activities. APS represents over 55,000 members, including physicists in academia, national laboratories, and industry in the United States and throughout the world. Society offices are located in College Park, MD (Headquarters), Ridge, NY, and Washington, D.C.
The position will largely be responsible for performing daily cash receipts, invoicing, and weekly transactional accounting tasks in addition to participating in the monthly close process by performing various supporting entries and reconciliations. This is a new role following a departmental realignment due to three new system implementations and revised workflows.
A Typical Week May Look Like This:
Is This You:
- Preparing journal entries
- Assisting with audit fieldwork for both operational and financial audits
- Supporting month-end and year-end close
- Preparing financial statements, journal entries and account reconciliations
- Reconciling and balancing general ledger accounts
- Researching and correcting account discrepancies
- Provide timely ad hock and special reports as requested
Education: Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Accounting, or equivalent combination of education and experience
Experience: 2-4 years of progressive accounting experience desired
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Proficient in Excel
- Strong time management skills with the ability to meet communicated schedules and deadlines
- Ability to adapt to quickly changing schedules.
- Strong analytical skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Experience in Lawson/CloudSuite ERP system a plus
- Experience with Salesforce, NimbleAMS a plus
- Experience in Non-Profit a plus
- Must be a self-starter and able to perform under general directions
- Strong organization, documentation, and prioritization skills.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Ability to work well with interdepartmental teams as well as independently.
Work Environment: APS offers a “Remote First” workplace. In our Remote First workplace, you can work either 100% remote or you can work at the APS Editorial Offices on Long Island, 62 miles (100 km) east of Manhattan, near Brookhaven National Laboratory and Stony Brook University. APS offers an outstanding total compensation and paid time off package.
Compensation: The anticipated annual salary range for this position is $55,000-65,000 (commensurate with experience).
Travel: Position may require some business travel to attend scientific meetings and events as directed by supervisor.
To advance and diffuse the knowledge of physics for the benefit of humanity, promote physics, and serve the broader physics community, we:
- Provide a welcoming and supportive professional home for an active, engaged, and diverse membership
- Advance scientific discovery and research dissemination
- Advocate for physics and physicists, and amplify the voice for science
- Share the excitement of physics and communicate the essential role physics plays in the modern world
- Promote effective physics education for all
The core values that drive our mission are:
- The Scientific Method
- Truth and Integrity
- Diversity, Inclusion, and Respect
- Partnering, Cooperation, and Open Collaboration
- Speaking Out
- Education and Learning
The American Physical Society is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, or genetic information. The American Physical Society is committed to providing access, equal opportunity and reasonable accommodation for individuals with disabilities in employment, its services, programs, and activities. To request reasonable accommodation, contact Human Resources.
The APS has a “remote first” concept that promotes equal treatment and equal access, independent of physical work location, with a majority of staff working primarily from remote work locations.
We welcome you to apply today!
This opening is closed and is no longer accepting applications